Later use of the abbey buildings and properties Kilwinning Abbey



the old estate offices , stables built masonry of old abbot s dwelling


considerable quantities of abbey stonework used in construction of buildings @ eglinton castle , deer park wall @ eglinton castle. dovecot @ eglinton may have come abbey , contains carvings abbey. stables built stones taken easter chambers of kilwinning abbey; being abbots lodgings , later of earls of eglinton. in 1784, on period of 4 months, building demolished , stones taken eglinton. of dressed stone blocks old stables , offices constructed have masons marks cut them, showing origin old abbey.


part of old abbey chancel @ first used parish church, later demolished in 1775 , earl of eglinton built new abbey church using stones of old abbey on same site. oddity caused re-use uneven surface of external walls. coat of arms of conjoined arms of eglinton , campbells of loudoun, in persons of robert montgomerie , wife jean campbell, built church wall above staircase leads eglinton loft. may have been placed there commemorate building of first construction of first church of reformist faith.



ornamental entrance doorway



the lylston row. possibly built abbey ruins.


seagate castle developed town house 3rd earl of eglinton between 1565 , 1582 , entrance doorway may have been built ruins of kilwinning abbey.


until 2 hundred years ago various ranges of vaults beneath abbey ruins still partly accessible, rebuilding , extension of kilwinning old parish church, no access possible.


a font, possibly abbey situated within old village of dalgarven.


kerelaw castle rebuilt, having been burnt down montgomeries, sometime after 1488 , reported have contained number of carved coats of arms of scottish nobility, taken kilwinning abbey.


in 1439 abbot of kilwinning abbey petitioned vatican permission build bridge on garnock water; survived until 1857 when incorporated present day bridge.


some parts of abbey have survived ruins; later vernacular buildings within site have been removed , ruins serve tourist attractions in kilwinning. rebuilt tower holds museum , opens regularly public access.


monkcastle near dalry abbot s country retreat , survives ruin. monkredding house brother s rest house, monk s garden , survives in modified form.


stones abbey buildings used in construction of railway cottage @ south millburn near benslie.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early forms Nasal helmet

Boko Haram and Darul Islam Religion in Nigeria

Semi-Immortality and the Call for Players ILabs